Friday, September 28, 2012

Wrapping Up Korea

Though many of you know that I have started a new adventure, I feel weird talking about it without wrapping up my time in Korea. My last entry was from April and my contract in Korea didn’t finish until early July. Below I’ve put two posts about significant things I did in Korea that I never got around to writing about. 

I have to say overall that I loved my time in Korea. When I think about the things I did and the people I met, I’m very grateful I had the opportunity to go. I had always thought about teaching abroad and I’m very glad I did. I’m even gladder that I got the chance to do it in Korea. Korea is a country I never thought about visiting. Though I would like to travel the whole world, (honestly) Korea never held much interest for me. That’s one of the reasons I wanted to go there the most, when I was given the opportunity. It sounds strange, but I liked the idea of choosing to live in a country I knew I would not want to visit as a tourist; and it was amazing.
If you haven’t tried Korean food – you must. I’m sitting here missing the food just writing this. If you don’t know where to start try galbi (Korean barbecue), or bulgogi (marinated beef); you can’t go wrong with either.

I have so much love an appreciation for the quirks of modern Korean culture. What I once thought was strange: couples outfits, etc. I now just smile and say ‘oh Korea’ fondly. I miss Korea a lot; I miss my friends and my lifestyle there. The obvious follow-up question to that is ‘would you want to live there?’ and the answer is no. Will I go back to visit: absolutely.
I had a great year there, but the wandering continues…

My final kindergarten class

No comments:

Post a Comment