Sunday, January 8, 2012

The Korean Folk Village

Happy New Year! I'm sorry it has taken me so long to write but the end of the year was very busy. I'm now at that fun point where I will be recapping things I did months ago but they were a lot of fun and definitely worth mentioning. The first was going to the Korean Folk Village. The Korean Folk Village is not far from where I live and I was able to go one Sunday (in October, I know, FOREVER ago) with my Korean friend Inchul. Inchul and I are language exchange partners in name although in reality we just hang out and get dinner sometimes. I was happy to have him come with me because most things in Korea are better with someone who can speak Korean. He hadn't been to the Folk Village since he was very young so he was happy to come along.
The Folk Village is not a real village, it's just staged for visitors. It's very interesting because they show what traditional houses and life looked like not only for Koreans here, but also Korean's on the South coast, the East coast etc. You can see the differences and it's very interesting. To be truthful though, I mostly enjoyed just walking around. We went on a beautiful autumn day, the leaves were changing colors, it was really beautiful. The best part of the visit were the performances. There were two: 1) guys doing a traditional dance with ribbons on their hat (I can't describe it but it was awesome) and 2) A girl balancing on a rope over twenty feet off the ground and doing tricks.

These are the guys dancing. Those ribbons are attached to their hats!
She's walking on the tight rope!

We watched the performances then walked around for a while. There was a museum that was fun to peak into and right before leaving there was this giant rock covered in twine for you to make a wish and hang it up. It was a nice way to finish our time at the village.
Here is my wish, tied to the rock!

No comments:

Post a Comment